Lightning Review: Children’s access to school nurses
Information and data in old reports may be out of date.
This Lightning Review by Anne Longfield examines the possible weaknesses in local systems that are preventing school nurses from carrying out their duties.
It highlights the Commissioner’s concerns that school nurses are spending more time on bureaucratic child protection duties and paperwork than their duties of improving the health and wellbeing of children and young people in England.
School nurses operate under six fundamental values that help promote and maximise health and wellbeing:
- Building resilience and supporting emotional wellbeing
- Keeping safe – managing risk and reducing harm
- Promoting healthy lifestyles
- Maximising learning and achievement
- Supporting complex and additional health needs
- Seamless tranistion and preparing for adulthood